As one of their early users, I posted a lot of photos there. These photos are part of my memory which I don't want to lose (This is a very good example of digital preservation). The bad thing is PicPlz team does not provide data downloading tool and you need to download it one by one.
I have total 396 photos on PicPlz so manually downloading is not possible. However we live in computing era and this can be possible with a few tricks.
Downloading PicPlz Photos with DownThemAll
There is a good Firefox extension called DownThemAll which helps you automate bulk/mass downloading process. So the first step is installing this extension if you haven't done it yet. Then follow these steps:
- Go to http://picplz.com and log in with your account
- You should be directed to http://picplz.com/yourphotos/ which shows you photos. This page is written by AJAX technique and it shows just few recent photos at first. You need to scroll down and it will show the next set of photos. Repeat this process until you reach the end of this page.
- Right click and choose 'DownThemAll'. A new dialog will pop up. Make sure you choose 'Links' tab in the top of dialog.
- Choose your destination folder in 'Save Files in' box
- Select 'Fast Filtering' and expand it. Type "download" in the box.
- Click 'Start' button in the dialog box. The download process should start in a new window.
Wait until the process finishes and all your photos should be back in your hard drive.
Note: This process only download your photos. Those metadata, dates, places, view counts, comments are not included. You need to save the whole PicPlz web page via browser (and editing path-to-photo in HTML code directly).